Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Desktop

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking to have a gaming desktop built, or build myself. My problem is that I have not kept up with all of the changes and possible upgrades. I don't know what is the fastest or which cards are best. I only play one game for now, and that is tf2. I am looking for something that will take me into other games and not need to be upgraded for a period of time. Any feedback is appreciated...

Posted

What price range are you looking at ?

Posted

800-1200

Posted

Shamelessly stolen from the GAF PC building thread:

• Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
  • Budget: 800-1200 [this'll net you something pretty solid]
  • Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
  • Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? [only tf2 at the moment?]
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
  • When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
  • Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Just to start, a GTX 970 is a popular (and good) choice. The best of the best for GFX cards right now is probably the 980ti, though a 980 is more than enough for pretty much everything maxed @ 1080p

Also would you prefer a regular tower/mid tower, or would you like to go micro-ATX or even mini-ITX?

Posted

I have a 23" monitor now, I also play on a 40in TV not sure what resolution, has been about 6 months now...

no real deadline, I need to file taxes and get return for several years so the budget could go up.

I want to use it mainly for gaming (5), web surfing(3), photo editing (Photoshop/other photo programs)(4) also some use of excel for work and word programs(3).

I want to run tf2 at 100+ fps not opposed to spending extra on the card  (you get what you pay for)

Parts I have ATM: 975w power supply KDM-X8975C, 1tb hard drive(seagate), MSI GTX760 ( not sure if still good yet)The computer crashed and will not reboot, not sure if the problem lies with the hard drive or the hard drive/video card together. I have the new hard drive but no program disc due to buying a unit that was refurbished and did not come with a disc. It is proprietary to HP and windows will not support, so I lost my operating system. Was thinking I could add a 2tb hard drive for storage.

not sure about overclocking? does it require more cooling/water cooled? i know that extra fans can be a plus...

Regular tower is fine

thank you for the help

Posted

If you don't mind, I can also post your responses to the questions in the GAF thread. The answers they'll give are going to be more spot-on than what I can provide. And I'm sure iKill or Dravu both know more than me on this sorta stuff, they could probably help too :D

If the budget has the potential to go up, I'd hold off on purchasing any of the major stuff, but in the mean-time fantasize about perdy cases.

Are you intent on getting the old computer to work again, or do you just want to get the data off the HDD? If you have extra parts, you could swap them out to see what might be malfunctioning. I've also heard computer stores sometimes can help you with stuff like this, but I've never run into this sort of issue. Also will you be buying a new case or salvaging the old one?

tl;dr at bottom

Had not heard of KDM before, but with your budget I'd suggest getting a solidly-reviewed PSU from cooler master, corsair, xfx, seasonic, etc. As for wattage, somewhere between 500 and 750 should be fine.

A 760 is by no means a bad card, but its (almost) 2016, and with pascal (hopefully) landing before mid-2016, you may be able to get away with waiting until then to upgrade your graphics card. But if you'd rather jump in now, a GTX 970 is basically THE card these days, though depending on how the budget stacks up you could even look at upping that. Don't hesitate to look at AMD cards either, they're definitely getting their shit pushed in by Nvidia atm but I'm extremely happy with my r9 390 purchase (~on par with 970, ~$40 cheaper). That said, AMD cards tend to run hotter, but since you're just looking at a regular tower you'll be alright.

For CPU, an i5 is pretty much fine for everything. You'll see benefits with an i7 in photo/video editing, but if your not spending a ton of time in photoshop, I don't know if the extra $100 would be worth it. A 4690K, or the more recent 6600K are both good, popular options. Both of these can be overclocked (as can any intel CPU that ends with that 'K'). I am NOT your go-to guy for overclocking, I'm a scrub-ass noob who bought a 2500k and has yet to OC it. But its not too hard, and with a solid CPU cooler it'll not run too much hotter either.

Motherboards are interesting, and theres a few things to consider, like the manufacturer, size, chipset, and socket.

• Manufacturer is mostly preference, a little bit of research will weed out the REALLY bad boards. I personally have an ASRock board, which is also what most of these suggested builds are listing. As you go up in price you'll start to see more Gigabyte and ASUS boards being recommended, but for your purposes, somewhere around $125 is fine.
  • For size, since you're good with a regular tower, ATX is fine.
  • A Z-series chipset is required to overclock, and honestly for your budget theres little reason not to buy a k-series chip and overclock it.
  • Socket is dependent on what CPU you end up going with. The 4690K is socket 1150, while the 6600K is 1151.

8 GB of RAM is probably fine for the time being, manufacturer is up to you. I use GSkill, you can use Corsair, Kingston (HyperX), though with an aftermarket CPU cooler you'll want to look at lower-profile ram so it doesn't touch your cooler/fan (or worse, BLOCK the cooler from being installed, like mine almost did O.o)

Since I mentioned the CPU Heatsink (Cooler), assuming your case has the clearance for it, the Hyper-212 evo is easily the most-suggested after-market cooler. I have a 212 plus, its great, can't recommend it enough. You can watercool your CPU (and even GPU if you're feeling frisky/rich), but its not really necessary, a 212 EVO is more than enough.

For storage, if you can salvage your HDD thats great, you can never have too many hard drives. If you already have an SSD great, throw that in the new build. If not, get one, be it the enthusiast Samsung 850 Pro or SanDisk Extreme Pro (pricier/better performance and better lifetime), or the Crucial BX100 (specifically the BX100, not 200). Regular HDDs are getting quite cheap, you can get a great 2TB for what I paid for a decent 1TB back in 2011 :(

Optical drives are going by the wayside, thanks to steam/origin, and the fact that anyone can make a bootable-USB drive with a windows ISO. If you've got a disc drive in your current PC, you can just use that one too.

You probably don't need a soundcard unless you're an audiophile, on-board sound is fine these days

tl;dr:

• PSU: 500-750W from cooler master, corsair, seasonic, or xfx.
  • GPU: GTX 970 is the easy answer, depending on budget could go bigger/better
  • CPU: i5-4690k or i5-6600k
  • Motherboard: ASRock (z97 or z170, depending on CPU choice)
  • RAM: 8 GB of GSkill, Corsair, or Kingston (HyperX) (depending on mobo/cooler, might affect how tall the RAM can be)
  • CPU Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO
  • Storage: Decide on an SSD based on your needs, carry over/buy extra HDDs
  • Optical Drive: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Soundcard: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cost for this theoretical build would be ~ 1100, not including the case (which you might re-use, or if you buy a new one is suuuuuper up to you)